Skip to main content

"It's just a small leak in the boat"....The Yap Chronicles - Part II


It's Canoe Festival Weekend in Yap. Who knew? Mom and I decide we definitely have to check out the festivities because all roads seems to lead to the festivities...actually, there is only one road in Yap so let me rephrase that prior statement.  One road leads to the festivities.

“Everyone seems to really be enjoying this.  Everybody is so…happy.”  Even with a light midst of rain in the air, it does not dampen the collective spirit of everyone in attendance.  Old people, youngsters, everyone in between are out in full force cheering for their teams that are running canoe relay races and obstacle course racing…I can see that there are two distinct teams…ones wearing red shirts, the other wearing blue…I think one is called Tamil but please do not quote me.  I notice a lot of cheering for both teams so the team loyalty seems to extend to everyone who is canoeing.

“Hello.  Welcome.  How are you?”, a local gentlemen says to Mom and I.  He smiles and it is then that I am touched by the genuine friendliness of the Yapese people but also a little baffled as well.  The Yapese people are very fond of betel nut.  My impression is that they chew it constantly; men and women and the result is that over time, it blackens their teeth and gums…the draw is that it is also a mild hallucinogenic.  It could be argued that THAT is why they seem so happy all the time.  Just an observation.  I am baffled because why anyone would want to turn their smile into a decayed sight is beyond me but I keep my Western perspective to myself and just enjoy the friendliness of the people.

“They  are giving canoe rides today out into the harbor.  They only take these canoes out for festivals. You should go”, someone else tells Mom. 

There is not a lot of downtime between learning about that and boarding the canoe….except for the time that it seems to round up a crew.  I am using the word “crew” very loosely here.  This canoe is big…and the hull is quite deep and hollow.  Poor Mom…it Is not as if there is a proper pier and hand rails and such…it is a combination of three or four men helping her along a plank and then she must crawl over the hollow hull of the canoe to where they would like her to sit.  My mother is convinced that this is yet another scheme for me to get her insurance money.  I swear I could not have conjured this up on my own if I tried. 

“What’s is that guy doing down there?”, I ask as I spot a young man with a white bucket in his hand.  It is pretty obvious what he is doing; baling water out of the canoe.

“Hhhmm, excuse me, Captain but does this canoe have a leak,? I ask slightly concerned.  After all, if we have to jump ship at least we are relatively close to shore and the water temperature is warm.

“Small leak.  No worries.  No problem,” he says along with a betel nut smile.

I look over at Mom who is sitting across the way from me on a bamboo platform that juts out from the side of the canoe.  I did not even make it that far and am sitting on the other side of the canoe…using a coconut as a footrest.  In canoe parlance, I am sitting in First Class in comparison to Mom’s steerage seat.  I won’t lie…I want to be able to exit quickly if need be.

Well out into the harbor now…

“Watch out…watch out!! Everybody duck.  Watch your heads!!!”, the crew shouts as the mast and the boom of the canoe is swinging somewhat out of control toward Mom and the passengers on that bamboo platform….next thing I know, Mom is horizontal flat on the platform as that is the only way to avoid the movement of the mast, sail and boom. 

I can not stop laughing because much like when people fall (I know it is wrong but it is what I do…as long as someone has not been hurt), Mom playing chicken with this sail is just cracking me up.

“Oh, you think this is funny?  You think this is easy for an old lady to get out of this thing’s way?”, she says but she is laughing too.  “You sitting over there with your coconut footrest….”

I’m sorry but it is hysterical.

“Maybe we should be careful of the reef”, the Captain says to his crew hence no one in particular…”we do not want to get stuck on the reef”…

“No problem.  We’re good.  We….”

…are stuck on the reef. J

With a few young men and a lot of oar movement and pushing and pulling, we make our way off the reef.

“See, no problem”, the Captain tells us.

“This is great.  This is the best canoe ride ever”…I say laughing through tears because it is a sailing comedy.  “Just make sure that young man keeps baling out the water”. 

Lets see,  maniacal sail with a mind of its own…water being baled out throughout ride…getting stuck on the reef….not sure if some of these guys had ever manuveured  a canoe before and everybody high on betel nut.  In the United States, this is a ride that never would have happened…the insurance liability alone would have brought it to a screeching halt before it started.    In Yap, it was a ride I wish did not have to end.

As we made our way back to shore, our Captain tells us, “We may do this again tomorrow. Tell your friends”

We told everyone we met because no one should miss out on a ride like this.  I would do it again in a heartbeat….as long as I can have my seat with the coconut footrest.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ladies and Gentleman who lunch Parisian style

There are moments in all our lives that are just  humbling "wow" moments.  You know which ones I'm talking about, don't you?  The ones like this one.  The one where I am sitting with my dear friend Clyde and my Mom at Le Jules Verne restaurant, 125 meters (375 feet) up in the Eiffel Tower, thinking to myself, "I grew up poor in the South Bronx.  When I was growing up, a dining treat was if Mom would take me to Howard Johnson's for fried clam strips and a banana split.  And I loved it!  And I would still love it except it's not the same any more.  Not nearly as fresh and good as back in the day"  I envisioned many things for myself, but sitting here, now, with two of the many people I love...nope, I didn't envision this moment.  I may have envisioned myself being one of the tourists getting rained on whilst standing on the observation deck below us. We are seated at a table where we can watch the tourists "observe" Paris from the observa

Nepal Continued: Love is a Baby Elephant Named Padra......

"See, it says right here....Elephant Breeding/Birthing Center...Chitwan National Park. We can play with baby elephants and bathe them! Now that sounds like fun and where else would we be able to do that?  Definitely want to bathe a baby elephant." I said it. I admit it. I was on a mission...The only thing to be decided was how to get to Chitwan. Fly or drive. "Lets drive - this way we can see more of the country." I said it. I admit that too. I made a few bad judgment calls this trip and this was at the top of the list. Note to all: given the choice between flying or driving in Nepal? Opt for flying. "You need shock absorbers," we try to explain to our driver after enduring a 6-hour ride from Kathmandu to Chitwan. Imagine us acting out the need for shock absorbers. "And what happened to the air conditioning which is now blowing air that feels hotter than the 100 degree temperatures outside?" Opening the windows leads to a respiratory nightmar

....and now I have Paris...France, that is :)

Here's the thing. A million years ago (okay, maybe more like back in the 1980's), I went to Paris, France with my Mom and my now ex-husband (oh, yes...those of you who had no idea, I was married once in a world that seems light years away from today. No horror story to tell. I just married a very nice man who was not the man for me. That's all. So now you can pick your jaw up from the floor and keep reading. If the Catholic Church has recovered from my walk down the aisle in St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC so can you :) Everything that could have gone wrong during that trip in 1987 did go wrong. Here are some of the highlights or lowlights depending on one's perspective. We arrived at the Paris Gare du Nord train station from Brussels on a windy, rainy night. It was late; we were tired and we were told the hotel was within walking distance of the train station but pray tell, which direction? We asked the gendarme, the local police and were told, "That way"