Skip to main content

"Welcome to Where?" - The Yap Chronicles - Part I


It is well after midnight, closer to 1a.m., as our plane is on its final approach to land at Yap International Airport. I can not remember the last time I landed some place where everything I see out of the window is pitch-black...no exaggeration... no lights in the distance, no full moon showing glistening sea below us...nothing...just darkness. Finally, some airport employee must have remembered to trip a switch and at the very least, there are now runway lights. Everyone did not go home after all.

“Welcome to Yap”, a lovely bare breasted woman with gorgeous hand-woven leis draped over her shoulders and breasts wearing a beautiful tiara of flowers on her head and a multi-colored grass skirt said to me as she places one of the hand-woven floral and palm leaf leis around me....

“Oh, wow..thank you. This is beautiful. You are beautiful. Thank you”...I guess everyone did not go home. It feels like the entire town of Colonia (the main town in Yap) has turned out for this flight's arrival and now that makes a bit more sense to me since there are only 2 flights per week into Yap and well, here we are.

“Here we are” is one of the islands that makes up the Federated States of Micronesia.  Yap is south of Guam; east of Palau (if you are a fan of the show Survivor then you have heard of Palau…Palau gets about 100,000 tourists visiting per year; Yap about 4,000)

There are no baggage carousels at the airport...just a metal shelf where luggage is delivered by a pick-up truck from the plane to said shelf...no one is checking baggage tags here. Our bags are mixed in with lots of picnic coolers as many of the local passengers seem to have transported a fair amount of processed frozen food from Guam. I can not explain it but just based on our middle of the night welcome, I know we are going to love Yap...once we get to see it.

The drive to the hotel is in that same complete darkness. There are only 5 or so accommodation options on the island. The hotel van does seem a bit antiquated, rusty and rickety (yes, I am being kind with my description) but most assuredly, the hotel itself will live up to its garden view, terrace, luxurious traditional Yapese decorated accommodation promise.

“So here is your room and let me show you around the room and familiarize you with the amenities”....

“Here is the closet...and we have hangers”, Reggie tells us. I glance at Mom quizzically as we are shown the 5 wire/plastic hangers. I am thinking, “That is charming. We can only go up from here …I am also thinking that if this hotel is touting wire hangers as a luxury amenity, I may have booked us into the wrong place ”.

“And inside this cabinet, we have your television”, Reggie says as he opens the cabinet and then says, “Oh, there is no television. I will have to find out where the television went”. Interesting, I think to myself, but still reserving judgement. I feel confident that there must have been a television in this room at one time because I see a remote control but….hhhhmmm…it’s okay.  We did not travel 17,000 miles collectively to watch TV. 

We have two beds and as it is fast approaching 2:30a.m. I figure we will solve the mystery of the missing television tomorrow because Mom and I are exhausted.

“Beep...beep...beep”, I hear 10 minutes after laying down. “Beep...beep...beep” continues at 2 minute intervals....just enough time to fall asleep again and then have that sleep disturbed. Turns out the smoke detector battery is dying but it is a slow death resulting in me trying to pull it off the wall without success. The gentleman at the front desk brings a ladder into the room, removes the entire smoke detector and Mom and I will simply have to hope fire is not part of the check-in package. At this point, I am thinking, “If I wanted a noise-induced sleep, I would have just stayed home in NYC”.

At least there will be the garden view from our terrace to look forward to in the morning...which in the morning, looks a lot like a parking lot replete with car doors banging at all hours. And because we have the good fortune to have the room adjacent to the front desk, we hear all the activity of both guests and employees.

By morning, I am done. See, I wrote a nice letter to the proprietor of said hotel before I left NYC explaining what we were seeking...above all else, a quiet tropical respite where we could escape the incessant noises of city life. A place where I could get a much-needed, good nights rest.  I was assured a “peaceful and stress-free experience awaits”. I want to also mention that this is not a budget hotel. We are paying $200.00 for the privilege of no sleep, a phantom television, 5 wire hangers  and do not get me started on the rather dilapidated state of the room and bathroom.

I chat with the lovely young lady at the front desk, explain my predicament, show my invoice reflecting what was promised versus reality and inquire, at the very least, if there is another room available away from the lobby noises. There is not.

“Mom, lets just go to breakfast”, I say. It is not a solution to the room problem but I just need coffee. The breakfast is fine; the coffee is good...the grounds of the hotel (not the coffee grounds, the hotel grounds...the tropical flowers and gardens are very nice). The pool could be cleaner and ….

Okay, between you and I, I am thinking, “Please God do not tell me that we traveled from New York to Los Angeles to Hilo to Honolulu to Manila to Guam and then ultimately to the Micronesian island of Yap just to be disappointed”. That would seem like a very cruel joke...besides, I still have that first impression feeling that I am going to love this island and that intuition is rarely wrong.  I also have to tell you that I had no intention of sharing this story because I love Yap when all is said and done…and in further stories, you will understand why but Mom had a good point.  She told me that people always think our vacations are moments of perfection from start to finish.  Maybe it is important for everyone to know, sometimes it takes a day or so to find paradise in the midst of it.

The word on the street is that we happen to be in town for the once a year Canoe Festival and pretty much the entire island population turns out to watch various teams compete in various canoe races and events. It is right down the road from our hotel...within walking distance so with a bit of rain coming down, off we go to the races.

We walk through town....a local community center, a general store of sorts, a post office...a living museum complete with stone money which was the form of currency back in the day....each village and family had their own stone money which would have to be transported on the shoulders of the villagers because the stones were big, formidable, heavy...most shaped with a hole in the middle of the stone so a pole could be passed through said holes and then the pole and stone hoisted on the villagers shoulders. Some of the stones came from outer islands...the harder it was to acquire said stone, the more value it had. The rougher, more identifiable stones had a greater value as well. We decide we need to stop and have a cup of coffee and just sit for a spell...but there are no coffee cafes...and there are only 3 or so restaurants to be found in town.  There are no coffee/internet cafes, no Starbucks, no Dunkin’ Donuts, no vestiges of what we refer to as Western civilization influences…which I happen to think is a beautiful thing except when I want a cup of coffee…then I would love to see a Mom and Pop coffee cafĂ© right in front of me. We wander into one of the other hotels on the island because they have a little coffee bar in the lobby...and the location is right on the harbor...which seems a nice place to sit for a bit.

As Mom and I are having a coffee and chatting with Helen, the young lady at the front desk, the more I look around the more I am thinking, “This is where we should be staying”. Beautiful pool with waterfall and flowers and a manta ray tiled design in said pool, a restaurant that is to be found on what used to be a South Seas schooner, a gift shop (sometimes a girl just wants to buy a few post cards :), tourist information (which was sorely lacking at the other hotel)....

Somewhere between asking for a coffee and finding out if there is milk to go with the  coffee, I end up asking…

“Helen, are there rooms available here?”, She asks me for what date. I laugh and tell her, “Oh, now...today...or however long it takes to get our luggage out of the other hotel to here”

“Let me show you some of our rooms and then you can decide”, she tells me as she shows me an oceanview room, with 2 big queen size beds...with lovely aquatic-themed duvets and oooohhh, modern furnishings and the toiletries!! Talcum powder and floral scented bath gels and soap that is shaped like the iconic stone money...and fluffy bath towels....and ...so many hangers there is no need to count them…yes, this is where we should be.

We sit on our terrace for a few moments, overlooking the pool, the harbor and the schooner.  The schooner is so close that next we hear…

“Hello.  Welcome.  Do you need anything? We can bring it to you…”

Mom and I look at each other and in unison say, “Coffee, please.”

Whilst the coffee is being made, the conversation from schooner to terrace continues…with the usual where are you from and how long will you be here and do you like Yap…

Turns out the ladies who are working at the schooner restaurant, their names are Terencia and Joci and we became friends at “Hello”.  It just happens like that in Yap.  But more about these wonderful ladies later in the Yap Chronicles.    

It would be fair to say that now, our Yap vacation...granted, a good 15 hours after we arrived, finally began when we stumbled upon the Manta Ray Bay Dive Resort ....and we are grateful because now that first impression is starting to make sense....Yap is truly our idyllic tropical island .... a little slice of paradise that has terrific coffee, thanks to Joci and Terencia .   Simple pleasures, indeed.

Next stop: The Too-Funny and Too-Much-Fun  Canoe Festival

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ladies and Gentleman who lunch Parisian style

There are moments in all our lives that are just  humbling "wow" moments.  You know which ones I'm talking about, don't you?  The ones like this one.  The one where I am sitting with my dear friend Clyde and my Mom at Le Jules Verne restaurant, 125 meters (375 feet) up in the Eiffel Tower, thinking to myself, "I grew up poor in the South Bronx.  When I was growing up, a dining treat was if Mom would take me to Howard Johnson's for fried clam strips and a banana split.  And I loved it!  And I would still love it except it's not the same any more.  Not nearly as fresh and good as back in the day"  I envisioned many things for myself, but sitting here, now, with two of the many people I love...nope, I didn't envision this moment.  I may have envisioned myself being one of the tourists getting rained on whilst standing on the observation deck below us. We are seated at a table where we can watch the tourists "observe" Paris from the observa

Nepal Continued: Love is a Baby Elephant Named Padra......

"See, it says right here....Elephant Breeding/Birthing Center...Chitwan National Park. We can play with baby elephants and bathe them! Now that sounds like fun and where else would we be able to do that?  Definitely want to bathe a baby elephant." I said it. I admit it. I was on a mission...The only thing to be decided was how to get to Chitwan. Fly or drive. "Lets drive - this way we can see more of the country." I said it. I admit that too. I made a few bad judgment calls this trip and this was at the top of the list. Note to all: given the choice between flying or driving in Nepal? Opt for flying. "You need shock absorbers," we try to explain to our driver after enduring a 6-hour ride from Kathmandu to Chitwan. Imagine us acting out the need for shock absorbers. "And what happened to the air conditioning which is now blowing air that feels hotter than the 100 degree temperatures outside?" Opening the windows leads to a respiratory nightmar

....and now I have Paris...France, that is :)

Here's the thing. A million years ago (okay, maybe more like back in the 1980's), I went to Paris, France with my Mom and my now ex-husband (oh, yes...those of you who had no idea, I was married once in a world that seems light years away from today. No horror story to tell. I just married a very nice man who was not the man for me. That's all. So now you can pick your jaw up from the floor and keep reading. If the Catholic Church has recovered from my walk down the aisle in St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC so can you :) Everything that could have gone wrong during that trip in 1987 did go wrong. Here are some of the highlights or lowlights depending on one's perspective. We arrived at the Paris Gare du Nord train station from Brussels on a windy, rainy night. It was late; we were tired and we were told the hotel was within walking distance of the train station but pray tell, which direction? We asked the gendarme, the local police and were told, "That way"