Skip to main content

Happy 74th Birthday, Mom.....Mom in the "Motherland" that is Poland


Mom and I in front of Wawel Castle



First photo of ETC in Krakow
Smoked cheese ...artistically created


Florian Gate - one of the entrances to Old Town Krakow







Mom and Ziggy....Our guide, our friend and our guardian angel here in Krakow


ETC at the Tyriec Monastery...with cake :)

The Santa Marta cake only found at the Benedictine Tyriec Monastery
The soup is always yummy in Krakow...and the lattes, divine :)
The truth of the matter is Mom and I have planned to visit Poland many times over the past few years.  Even up until 10 days prior to our planned vacation LAST year, we thought we were going to Poland.  But somehow, something else always distracts us, being a great deal on a not-to-be-missed cruise or autumn foliage adventures or having to do loads of laundry (guess which comment is not true :) ).

The other factor that is the most honest but hardest to describe reason for not visiting Poland before is that we did not have THE feeling.  THE feeling is something very difficult to explain if your name is not Estelle.  We just know when it is time for us to visit a given location above all other places.  It speaks to us.  It is fair to say that for many years, we spoke to Poland but Poland did not speak back…until now.

Mom is 100% Polish so there is that element of wanting to visit a country that somewhere in its fabric has a piece of family history hiding here.  We won’t find it during this trip but we have seen evidence of it in little ways….be it a “Does anyone speak English?” moment in a supermarket (because I was sent on a mission to find chicken broth which is not easy when one does not speak the native language.  Did I cluck and mimic a chicken in the midst of the supermarket aisle?  I sure did because after the day that Mom had today, when she says she wants chicken broth, I will accept no limitations to acquiring said broth.”  People responded….and yes, of course, they laughed but it truly felt as if they were laughing with me (or I am kidding myself in a big way).  The moral of the story is that we have encountered warm and friendly people at every turn.  It is nice to know that from whence we come is from a land of genuinely good natured, fun loving, proud to be Polish, people.

As we sit on the precipice of Mom’s 74th birthday, I think to myself, “We all come from away.”  Many years ago I promised my Mom that we would always be in a foreign country for her birthday.  There is something very poignant and sweet and very emblematic of THE feeling in being able to give Mom the gift of a visit to her Motherland for this birthday. 

Krakow is a town where the first impression one has can not be anything other than….fantastic!  There is so much history. You can read about it in the latest Lonely Planet guide or do your research accordingly.  Our introduction to Krakow was on a uncharacteristically hot day (for September) a few days ago.  Krakow is definitely a walking town but as the sun beat down upon us it became very clear we weren’t walking anywhere except maybe back to grab a taxi back to the hotel .  Because we do have a lovely suite at the Hotel Kosciusko (yes, we may have chose this hotel because we like Kosciusko mustard but do not judge us!! :) ) and it makes for a perfect place to just relax at day’s end.  Peeking around a corner, I could see something in the distance that looked like the tail end of a golf cart…and a canopy that definitely had the word “Tour” on it.  Wherever God calls home in the 135 churches and 7 synagogues (and yes, there are some Orthodox places of worship as well but I do not remember how many or of which orthodoxy) of Krakow, I would like to say "Praise Jesus" :) right now because what to our wondering eyes should appear but an electric car with a driver named “Ziggy.” 

After much dialogue whilst standing in the shade on a corner in Old Town discussing everything from the documentary film Ziggy produced about Holocaust survivors to what brought us to Krakow on this particular day…and a deep discussion about the 10 words Mom remembers in Polish including words which loosely translate to, “Shut your mouth” (which comes in real handy in polite conversation), we decide that Ziggy is our guy.  He is the one that is meant to introduce us to the wonders of Krakow.  So we kidnap him for the day.  We zoom away (okay, that is an exaggeration as the electric car does not zoom. It does not go more than 10-15 miles per hour).

We see all the sites that Krakow is famous for from Wawel Castle to the National Museum to other museums to St. Ann’s Church and well, pick a church, any church to the Cloth Hall and Market Square.  One site is simply more beautiful than the next.  We stop at a public market where the combination of an elderly woman selling intricately carved smoked cheese whilst knitting woolen mittens just fascinates me.  We stumble upon a mass being offered at St. Ann’s.  We take in the Baroque and Rococo influences and the murals that surround as by the great Old Masters. We simply take a moment to just…be.

We taste pierogies (think potato dumplings which can be fried and stuffed with potato, cheese, meat or fruit); we try some goat cheese….and then we get kidnapped by Ziggy.  Turn about is fair play, I guess.

He asked us, “Would you like to see a monastery run by Benedictine Monks?”  Of course, we would. Off we go in our no-zoom, slower than molasses electric car, holding up traffic in some points and watching all sorts of cars whiz by us at other points.  We finally arrive at the Tyniec Monastery, a little slice of Heaven here on Earth (no pun intended).

Not only do the monks have a beautiful spot to do their monk-thing overlooking the river but they bake cakes!!  Yes, a Santa Marta cake that makes the best Devil’s Food Cake you have ever had taste like Play-Doh!! :)  They should call this cake Satan’s Cake because it defines temptation.  My diet went right out the window.  Combine it with a “divine” (get it?) cherry sauce and know that let there be no doubt, it is Heavenly Delicious :) 

Someone mentioned that the monks sing their Gregorian chants on occasion.  We inquired as to when.  The answer : “Now.”

As we walked into the church to listen to their comforting and relaxing chants, I thought to myself, “The time to be in Poland could never have been any other time than now.”

THE feeling is always correct and truly Heaven sent :)

Happy 74th Birthday, my Mama.  The real surprise comes the day after your birthday....stay tuned.  It promises to be "Great!" ....our new friend Ziggy's favorite expression :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ladies and Gentleman who lunch Parisian style

There are moments in all our lives that are just  humbling "wow" moments.  You know which ones I'm talking about, don't you?  The ones like this one.  The one where I am sitting with my dear friend Clyde and my Mom at Le Jules Verne restaurant, 125 meters (375 feet) up in the Eiffel Tower, thinking to myself, "I grew up poor in the South Bronx.  When I was growing up, a dining treat was if Mom would take me to Howard Johnson's for fried clam strips and a banana split.  And I loved it!  And I would still love it except it's not the same any more.  Not nearly as fresh and good as back in the day"  I envisioned many things for myself, but sitting here, now, with two of the many people I love...nope, I didn't envision this moment.  I may have envisioned myself being one of the tourists getting rained on whilst standing on the observation deck below us. We are seated at a table where we can watch the tourists "observe" Paris from the observa

Nepal Continued: Love is a Baby Elephant Named Padra......

"See, it says right here....Elephant Breeding/Birthing Center...Chitwan National Park. We can play with baby elephants and bathe them! Now that sounds like fun and where else would we be able to do that?  Definitely want to bathe a baby elephant." I said it. I admit it. I was on a mission...The only thing to be decided was how to get to Chitwan. Fly or drive. "Lets drive - this way we can see more of the country." I said it. I admit that too. I made a few bad judgment calls this trip and this was at the top of the list. Note to all: given the choice between flying or driving in Nepal? Opt for flying. "You need shock absorbers," we try to explain to our driver after enduring a 6-hour ride from Kathmandu to Chitwan. Imagine us acting out the need for shock absorbers. "And what happened to the air conditioning which is now blowing air that feels hotter than the 100 degree temperatures outside?" Opening the windows leads to a respiratory nightmar

....and now I have Paris...France, that is :)

Here's the thing. A million years ago (okay, maybe more like back in the 1980's), I went to Paris, France with my Mom and my now ex-husband (oh, yes...those of you who had no idea, I was married once in a world that seems light years away from today. No horror story to tell. I just married a very nice man who was not the man for me. That's all. So now you can pick your jaw up from the floor and keep reading. If the Catholic Church has recovered from my walk down the aisle in St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC so can you :) Everything that could have gone wrong during that trip in 1987 did go wrong. Here are some of the highlights or lowlights depending on one's perspective. We arrived at the Paris Gare du Nord train station from Brussels on a windy, rainy night. It was late; we were tired and we were told the hotel was within walking distance of the train station but pray tell, which direction? We asked the gendarme, the local police and were told, "That way"