Skip to main content

"Swinging" in Yap - Part III- Until Our Next Visit....


“Hi Baby Estelle….Hi Mama Estelle. Good morning…” Terencia says from one of the decks of the South Seas Schooner that sits right across from our room terrace. The schooner is a restaurant now and Terencia is one of the servers there…but she is also one of the reasons I love Yap so much…the spirit of the people.

“Good morning Terencia,” Mom and I chime in unison as we are sitting on the terrace having our morning coffee as we overlook the harbor and revel in the beauty of sunny skies meeting crystal clear waters. Mornings are not usually my favorite time of day but if they could start with sipping coffee overlooking idyllic scenery …well, maybe I would become a morning person…but since the closest thing I have to a terrace in Brooklyn is a fire escape ….

“What are you going to do today?” Terencia asks us.

“We are going to tour the island with Richard and Helen … “, we tell her. Mom is determined that before we leave Yap we must also see one of the outer islands called Ma’ap (and pronounced map) so off we go to explore the island. Tomorrow will be the more adventurous day with plans to go kayaking through the mangroves and snorkeling amidst the coral reef (yes, the very same one that we managed to get stuck on during the canoe festival ride).

As we make our way down the one road that circumnavigates the island (I think that word is longer than the road itself), we see lots of green and lots of pretty tropical flowers from shrimp plants to hibiscus and beyond. We also pass a fair amount of villages showing off their wealth in the form of the local stone money currency. Some very wealthy villages if the size of the stones have anything to say about it…which they do….the size, the weight and where they were quarried from and how far they have traveled all enters into the value of the stone money equation.

As the morning progresses so does the temperature…we arrive at a beach that has the swaying palm trees that one would expect and beautiful turquoise waters that one would expect and a fabulously shady thatched roof seating area with a table to just sit and enjoy the surroundings and the slight breeze.. We have not done anything of great consequence and yet it is time to rest.

 

“Helen, are we going to go to Ma’ap because you know Mom has to see Ma’ap or else…”

“This is Ma’ap”, Helen replies…

Ma’ap looks a lot like Yap….and we must have crossed a bridge somewhere during our drive…so yeah, here we are.

“Mom. This is Ma’ap”, I say….smiling because who knew?

“Of course it is. We knew that,” Mom says knowing full well we had no clue.

Taking a little walk down the beach we find some very colorful seashells….and then we see a palm tree that has a rope hanging from it with a wooden pole tied horizontally at the end of it…

“Ooooohhhh, a swing”….it wasn’t until I got back to NYC that I realized that I was probably meant to stand on this wooden pole and then swing back and forth. Instead I sit on that wooden pole…and yes, I did swing from that palm tree barely skimming the sand but there was a lot more of my behind swinging in the air as opposed to actually coming in contact with that wooden pole. A tree…a rope…and a stick….just made for the best swing ever….the beautiful we-have-it-all-to-ourselves beach wasn’t too shabby either. Just gorgeous….

All that swinging tired us out. I wish I could tell you we did more than tour about, see some thatched roof meeting houses, see where the betel nuts are processed into their hallucinogenic concoction, visit the beach and the stone money locales but that was it….and it was perfect.

“Richard . Helen, thank you for a wonderful morning but I think it is time for us to head back to the hotel…swim in the pool and relax”. It could be argued that all we have done since our arrival in Yap is relax…but now we want to relax some more.

Back at the hotel, we do just that….and then dinner is on the immovable schooner where fish soup and fish tacos and sashimi (yes, more fish) are the items Mom and I are gravitating toward. Keep in mind that everything from meat to vegetables has to be brought by container ships from Guam, the Philippines and points beyond…but if you want guaranteed fresh fish? Yap is the place to go.

“Did you have a good day, Mama and Baby?”, Joci and Terencia ask us as we are checking out the menu. Yes, I find it funny to be called Baby at 51 years of age but they are correct. If my Mom is Estelle and so am I….then it stands to reason that I am Baby Estelle.

“The best day ever. And tomorrow is going to be even better”….

The beauty of Yap….one of the very many reasons why I like it so much is in the “not doing”. The simple pleasures of just swinging on a rope….talking with the Yapese people, exchanging ideas, thoughts and opinions about anything and everything under the sun….no rigid, time-sensitive tours to commit to (except a sensitivity to when high tide is for the optimum kayaking experience through the mangroves)…a place where the day begins when one wants it to…not based on an alarm clock and watch dictating the pace of the day…..

Whilst swimming in the pool, we are told that the tides will be just right for our kayaking through the mangroves experience in the morning. Mom and I have only been kayaking once before so we stress that our kayaking skills are very basic….so calm, placid waters are imperative. The next day we take a speedboat to the lagoon where our kayaks are lowered into the water….and then we are lowered into the kayaks. Mom first….always…because if something happens to her such as the kayak tipping over, I can learn from her mistake and not have that happen to me. I know…very thoughtful J

Richard is our lead and into the mangroves we go. Mosquito repellant is a must as is an ability to be silent. Other than occasional dialogue between Richard, Mom and I, the only other sounds we hear are that of insects buzzing and the sound of our oars as they skim the surface of the water. It is the sound of virtually nothing at all that I remember most vividly about Yap. I can not remember the last time I heard such quasi-silence…the sound of nothing colliding with a little bit of something. What I do know is that I wish I could bottle that quasi-silence and bring it home with me. It is my most serene memory of Yap. It is that sound that will pleasantly haunt me until I simply must hear it again. That will be when I will know it is time to return to Yap.

Being amongst the mangroves is akin to being in a cornfield maze or an English garden hedgerow maze….one wrong turn and I would be lost seemingly forever.

“This wall to our right …the stones denote the boundary lines between villages”, Richard tells us. So our kayaks are traveling along a main water boulevard between villages and said waterway is about 2 feet wide. Turning the kayaks into the waterway is an art form for me that I have yet to master…I collided with my fair share of mangrove roots and uprooted tree trunks before I finally navigated correctly.

Kayaking through mangroves was followed by snorkeling out near the corral reef where we saw indigo blue-colored starfish and all sorts of aquatic life that I have never seen before.






When people ask Mom and I what there is to see and do in Yap, we answer, “Not much”. But that “not much” is more than enough and just perfect for us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ladies and Gentleman who lunch Parisian style

There are moments in all our lives that are just  humbling "wow" moments.  You know which ones I'm talking about, don't you?  The ones like this one.  The one where I am sitting with my dear friend Clyde and my Mom at Le Jules Verne restaurant, 125 meters (375 feet) up in the Eiffel Tower, thinking to myself, "I grew up poor in the South Bronx.  When I was growing up, a dining treat was if Mom would take me to Howard Johnson's for fried clam strips and a banana split.  And I loved it!  And I would still love it except it's not the same any more.  Not nearly as fresh and good as back in the day"  I envisioned many things for myself, but sitting here, now, with two of the many people I love...nope, I didn't envision this moment.  I may have envisioned myself being one of the tourists getting rained on whilst standing on the observation deck below us. We are seated at a table where we can watch the tourists "observe" Paris from the observa

Nepal Continued: Love is a Baby Elephant Named Padra......

"See, it says right here....Elephant Breeding/Birthing Center...Chitwan National Park. We can play with baby elephants and bathe them! Now that sounds like fun and where else would we be able to do that?  Definitely want to bathe a baby elephant." I said it. I admit it. I was on a mission...The only thing to be decided was how to get to Chitwan. Fly or drive. "Lets drive - this way we can see more of the country." I said it. I admit that too. I made a few bad judgment calls this trip and this was at the top of the list. Note to all: given the choice between flying or driving in Nepal? Opt for flying. "You need shock absorbers," we try to explain to our driver after enduring a 6-hour ride from Kathmandu to Chitwan. Imagine us acting out the need for shock absorbers. "And what happened to the air conditioning which is now blowing air that feels hotter than the 100 degree temperatures outside?" Opening the windows leads to a respiratory nightmar

....and now I have Paris...France, that is :)

Here's the thing. A million years ago (okay, maybe more like back in the 1980's), I went to Paris, France with my Mom and my now ex-husband (oh, yes...those of you who had no idea, I was married once in a world that seems light years away from today. No horror story to tell. I just married a very nice man who was not the man for me. That's all. So now you can pick your jaw up from the floor and keep reading. If the Catholic Church has recovered from my walk down the aisle in St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC so can you :) Everything that could have gone wrong during that trip in 1987 did go wrong. Here are some of the highlights or lowlights depending on one's perspective. We arrived at the Paris Gare du Nord train station from Brussels on a windy, rainy night. It was late; we were tired and we were told the hotel was within walking distance of the train station but pray tell, which direction? We asked the gendarme, the local police and were told, "That way"