Skip to main content

Vinalhaven, Maine - Leave Your Cell Phone on the Mainland


I have often wished for a place where I could just drop off the grid for a moment in time. Often times, I feel as if I was born in the wrong century. Case in point, I am a person who still has a rotary dial phone in my house. By choice. I do not fight the invasion of modern technology but I do not exactly embrace it with open arms either. More often than not, I feel people and their seemingly unnatural relationships with their iPads, laptops and cellular telephones takes away from the opportunities to interact in the present moment with a fellow human being. How am I ever going to meet Prince Charming if he is too busy interacting with his iPad to even see that I walked into the room? :) I miss the days when one could stop for a coffee at a cafe and actually have the chance to strike up a spontaneous conversation with the person seated at the next table. Now more often than not, that very same person is already engaged in a conversation with someone on their cell phone.

I had given up hope of finding a place, particularly in the United States that would be devoid of the ever-present cell phones, Blackberries, iPhones, etc. But then again, I had never been to Vinalhaven, Maine before this July either.

Vinalhaven sits about 12 miles off the coast of Maine. It takes a little effort and various modes of transportation to get there. In our case, an airplane from NYC to Portland, a drive from Portland to Rockand and then an hour and 15 minute ferry ride to Vinalhaven. The ferry pulls into Carver's Harbor and the picturesque nature of the surrounding scenery just makes me smile. We are staying in a rental house called The Lobster House which, of course, is located on Clamshell Aly (that's not mispelled; that is exactly how the street sign reads).

I could list all the things there are to do on Vinalhaven but I find myself thinking...why when the beauty of the place is in the not-doing. Back home, going to buy a half-gallon of milk would not be considered an event. I think that is a fair statement to make but on Vinalhaven, it could easily be THE event of the day. Please allow me to share a page ...a day's events ...during my stay in Vinalhaven.


Wake up around 8a.m....the sun is streaming in through my bedroom window. Everyday seems gloriously perfect weather-wise. It is about 85 degrees but there is always an ocean breeze...always. Lay in bed until around 10a.m...reading, watching the butterflies play in the trees outside my bedroom window.

10a.m. Go downstairs. Mom has made coffee and some fruit and eggs for breakfast. Watch more butterflies play amongst the flowers outside the kitchen bay window. Also watch hummingbird moths play amongst same flowers. Orioles come to the bird feeder. Watch birds. Watch lobster boats sail in and out and around the harbor right outside our window. Decide to eat breakfast on porch whilst watching all this ...activity.

We need milk for tomorrow. Okay, I decide to walk into town for milk. “Town” is about 2 blocks away and “town” in total is about 5 blocks long. There is a souvenir store for buying post cards and I-Like-Vinalhaven coffee mugs, an art gallery, a glass craftsperson's shop, a candy store...the fact that I can tell you how many stores there are should give you an idea that there are not many at all. I go to get milk. Yes, I could buy other things we need at the same time but then what would I have to do later? I buy milk and return back to the house.


It's about noontime now. I think I will go down to the Bait House. The Bait House sits at the end of our pier. Open the doors to the Bait House and it reveals a sofa perfect for reclining and watching the same harbor that can be viewed from the house. Time to recline on the sofa and watch the lobster boats continuing their travels.


Wow, all this watching and reclining is making me tired. Time to take a little nap.


Wake up around 3p.m. Hhhhmmm...I guess I should check my e-mails. Mom and I walk back into town together. We buy our cafe lattes at the ARCafe. The proceeds go back to help support the people who live in Vinalhaven year-round...about 1,600 year round residents. We avail ourselves of one of the few places in town that has wi-fi. No cell phone service so no having to listen to other people's one-sided conversations. Nice.


After coffee, we stop at the post office to send post cards back to “the mainland”.


All this sitting and laying around has made me hungry so we must go to the Hawker Gawker Restaurant where the daily food order sounds something like this...


“My Mom would like a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato but she would like it very greasy... so much butter...an obscene amount of butter. She tells me that you all made it great the first day but yesterday's was not greasy enough so please do not be shy and lets try to make one like the first day,” I tell the woman working behind the counter.


“I can't say I get many requests like that these days”, she tells me.

“I know but what can I tell you? My Mom likes what she likes....greasy grilled cheese sandwiches. I can't say I blame her. They are good”.

Mom and I sit at “our” table. Oh, yes, since Day 1 we have commandeered the table in the corner that affords us front and side views of the pond and the mill run that leads out to the ocean...from this vantage point we can watch the tide rush in...or out depending on the time of day. I did not know that tides could switch direction during a given part of the day. Look, I am a city girl. I turn on a faucet. The water comes out. I turn off the faucet. The water stops. That is what I know about water and its “tides”. :)


The waitress brings Mom a grilled cheese sandwich that is so buttery it is hard to get a handle on it...so it is perfect. It is a sandwich that easily needs 20 napkins to use to clean ones hands. And she brings me some of the best seafood chowder I have had...ever. A chowder that is so chock full of seafood that the chowder part is barely there. It is delicious.

Before you get the impression that there is nothing to do in Vinalhaven, let me clarify. There's kayaking (note to self: must learn to kayak soon. Yes, I get the rowing part...it is the getting into and out of said kayak without capsizing that I just do not understand. All in due time). There is hiking and exploring and boating and bird-watching and fishing and.... Although I believe the beauty of the place is in the not-doing, there is also swimming to be found in a few defunct quarries that courtesy of being spring-fed now make for some amazing swimming holes. Larson's Quarry and Booth's Quarry are perfect cooling spots on a hot summer day but the sun does need to be high in the sky otherwise it can get a mite chilly in that water. I hear tell but did not find this out until the last day that there is a quarry that is bathing-suit optional...but maybe it is a good thing that I did not learn that until the last day. I just do not think Vinalhaven is ready for all of me.


There are good old-fashioned tag sales. I now am the proud owner of a hand-crafted item...a rock that has little birds made of seaweed sitting on said rock. Bill, who is a carpenter by trade when he is not busy selling crafts strikes up a conversation that goes something like this....

“So, where are you from?”

“I'm from New York City. How about you?”

“I'm from about 300 yards from here. Was born here and lived here all my life. New York City, huh? I have a friend who just moved here from NYC. He said he just couldn't take it anymore. Too many people. Too much of everything”, Bill tells me.


“I suppose your friend has that correct. NYC is a bit too much of everything, good and bad...but it's home so to me it is like a small town having being born and raised there. Granted, a small town with 8 million people but if I need to get away? Well, thank goodness there are places that you call home for me to run away to...have you ever been to NYC?”, I ask Bill as I find myself leaning on his pick-up truck. He uses the pick up truck bed to showcase his handicrafts.

“Nope. I've never been. It just sounds like too much to me. I like things simple. How did you find out about Vinalhaven?”.


I tell him the story. Invited by a friend who was attending a wedding. “Well, if you ever change your mind know that you are more than welcome to my hometown. After all, I have now been to yours”. We talk about all the things that strangers are not suppose to talk about from religion to politics. Talk being the operative word. We are not debating, not getting mad because we disagree. We are, dare I say it, engaged in what I think is becoming a lost art form....the art of conversing. Realizing a good hour has gone by, I thank him for his craft, wish him well, and extend an invite to him and his wife to visit NYC anytime. I realize they never will....and that's okay. I also realize I can not remember the last time I just leaned up against a pick-up truck, chatting with a stranger about anything and everything. No need to rush off to whatever is next in the day's events and no chance of being interrupted by a cell phone call. Just simple human interaction in the midst of the town square. Nice.

The days pass like that on Vinalhaven. There was a parade down Main Street for the 4th of July. Never seen a parade that passed through town twice...so if you missed something the first time, you got to see it on the way back to its beginning point. Flags were waving...people were smiling...old and young came out to celebrate. Red, white and blue bunting draped off buildings on Main Street . Main Street screamed “We celebrate the United States of America”. The parade floats were all down-home clever and crafty....from a moving swimming pool (celebrating the upcoming Olympics, complete with “athlete” doing belly flops into a shallow pool that had the parade viewers getting a little wet) to the senior citizens playing cards on a truck flat-bed and hitting each other with rolling pins. I am not sure what that all had to do with the 4th of July but we do celebrate our freedoms on that day...and freedom comes in all kinds of versions, I think.


Walking back to the house, I think to myself....the beauty of this thing called life is in the simple moments. Multi-colored faded buoys piled up against old clapboard sheds, flowers in various states of blooming, a sign in a storefront window that reads “Open” when everything else about the shop indicates it is closed.....

...and then I hear a car horn honk (something I haven't heard for days like I do seemingly every minute when home in NYC). I ignore it because lets be real. I do not know anyone here so they can not be honking at me.


“Beep. Beep...”, I hear the honk and hear a person as well shouting out “Hey, Estelle. How's it going?”

I finally turn around. It's Bill....the carpenter who crafts birds out of seaweed man. As he waves, I wave back and think be it Vinalhaven or NYC.....the common denominator is that good people can be found anywhere; that home is what we make it and simple pleasures abound.

...and sometimes, just sometimes, true bliss can be found in a greasy grilled cheese sandwich and seafood-laden clam chowder whilst taking in a harbor view in Vinalhaven, Maine.

...and next year when we return, if it is all the same old thing? I couldn't ask for more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ladies and Gentleman who lunch Parisian style

There are moments in all our lives that are just  humbling "wow" moments.  You know which ones I'm talking about, don't you?  The ones like this one.  The one where I am sitting with my dear friend Clyde and my Mom at Le Jules Verne restaurant, 125 meters (375 feet) up in the Eiffel Tower, thinking to myself, "I grew up poor in the South Bronx.  When I was growing up, a dining treat was if Mom would take me to Howard Johnson's for fried clam strips and a banana split.  And I loved it!  And I would still love it except it's not the same any more.  Not nearly as fresh and good as back in the day"  I envisioned many things for myself, but sitting here, now, with two of the many people I love...nope, I didn't envision this moment.  I may have envisioned myself being one of the tourists getting rained on whilst standing on the observation deck below us. We are seated at a table where we can watch the tourists "observe" Paris from the observa

....and now I have Paris...France, that is :)

Here's the thing. A million years ago (okay, maybe more like back in the 1980's), I went to Paris, France with my Mom and my now ex-husband (oh, yes...those of you who had no idea, I was married once in a world that seems light years away from today. No horror story to tell. I just married a very nice man who was not the man for me. That's all. So now you can pick your jaw up from the floor and keep reading. If the Catholic Church has recovered from my walk down the aisle in St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC so can you :) Everything that could have gone wrong during that trip in 1987 did go wrong. Here are some of the highlights or lowlights depending on one's perspective. We arrived at the Paris Gare du Nord train station from Brussels on a windy, rainy night. It was late; we were tired and we were told the hotel was within walking distance of the train station but pray tell, which direction? We asked the gendarme, the local police and were told, "That way"

Nepal Continued: Love is a Baby Elephant Named Padra......

"See, it says right here....Elephant Breeding/Birthing Center...Chitwan National Park. We can play with baby elephants and bathe them! Now that sounds like fun and where else would we be able to do that?  Definitely want to bathe a baby elephant." I said it. I admit it. I was on a mission...The only thing to be decided was how to get to Chitwan. Fly or drive. "Lets drive - this way we can see more of the country." I said it. I admit that too. I made a few bad judgment calls this trip and this was at the top of the list. Note to all: given the choice between flying or driving in Nepal? Opt for flying. "You need shock absorbers," we try to explain to our driver after enduring a 6-hour ride from Kathmandu to Chitwan. Imagine us acting out the need for shock absorbers. "And what happened to the air conditioning which is now blowing air that feels hotter than the 100 degree temperatures outside?" Opening the windows leads to a respiratory nightmar