Skip to main content

What to do when Mom says, "I'm not leaving Ireland until I see puffins" - May 2012


“I am not leaving Ireland until we see puffins”, declares my mother before we even hit the shores of the Emerald Isle.

The internet has given this mother of mine way too much power if it is to be believed that knowledge is power. She has learned (or more to the point, I think she just always knew this) that puffins can be found on islands off the coast of Ireland this time of year. This time of year being May. Never mind that the Atlantic Ocean is rather chilly...and the winds can be brisk. A boat must be found that can navigate us to Skellig Michael where the illusive puffins can be found in one of their natural habitats.

A boat and its captain are hired but the details seem a bit vague. “Just head into Port Magee and look for a blue boat”. That's it. So we do just that at 10a.m. on a very clear weather for Ireland kind of day. Driving into town with our no-bigger-than-a-bread-box rental car with stick shift on opposite side of where I am used to finding it, we arrive in Port Magee.

“Which boat do you think it is? And which dock are we meant to walk to and...”? The next thing we know a man comes up to our car and asks if we are heading to Skellig Michael. We respond yes and he tells us where to park our car. Who knew the captain would find us. It's just the way things are done in Port Magee. If one is not a local, one must want to go see puffins? I do not know but I am grateful he found us.

Making our way to the boat, the first adventure is getting Mom onto the boat. This is not a cruise ship wherein there is an easy gangplank to walk. The seemingly one foot gap between the pier and the boat should not be a cause for concern as Mom makes her way into the boat, right? Say a prayer, everyone. The fact that shortly thereafter we are asked to sign a liability waver makes me wonder what exactly we have signed up for here...I mean, where does the danger lay in seeing puffins? There are 7 other dangerous puffin viewers on the boat so we all introduce ourselves and off we go.

“Why don't you have a go at steering the boat?,” the Captain tells me. I do not want to, having no boating skill set but it is an enclosed cabin and the wind is picking up outside so it is a welcome relief from the briskness of the deck where we are seated...plus I glance at that wonderful invention called “autopilot” and think, “Why not?” Directly in front of us is Skellig Michael - a world heritage UNESCO site which evidently has a monastery at its apex...more about that later. No, maybe I should just confess now. I have to admit that sometimes when my Mom makes these excursion suggestions, I just go along with the idea. I do no research of my own. I read no guide books. So when I heard that there was a monastery on the island, I thought, “That's excellent. Can't wait to see the monks doing their monk thing in such pristine and unspoilt settings”. Remember that thought for a little later, please.

About an hour has passed since leaving Port Magee, and we arrive at Skellig Michael. Our little boat seems even smaller against the cliffs on the island. We dock and once again, the challenge is getting off the boat. I would like to say right here, right now a big thank you to the chivalrous gentlemen who helped Mom on and off the boat. It is not that she is incapable of doing it herself but again, the absence of traditional docks and even platforms and gaps between the boat and the dock that suggest one may get to know the sea sooner than dry land....just thank you.

As we make our way up the pathway that hugs the cliffs of the island, I lean over one of the stone walls to take in the churning sea below..

“Look, there's a seal”, and indeed, there he is sunning himself on a rock. I know it is not a puffin but I think to myself, “This could be a good start”. We have not been here even 5 minutes and already a wildlife sighting.

“Yeah, the seal is nice. But it is not a puffin”, Mom reminds me. I think to myself, “No substitutes are going to be accepted and how will I handle this if she sees no puffins”.

Making our way around the next turn in the path, (we have 2 hours to explore Skellig Michael before we must make our way back to the boat) we come across a cliff side that has all kinds of birds in every nook and cranny of the cliffs...hundreds of birds...and we even happened to have a world-renown, bird expert on the boat with us who said, “Oh over there is a __________fill in the blank with a bird name....and over there is a ______________fill in the blank with another bird name” But I did not hear him say, “There is a puffin”. Am I starting to have my concerns? Between you and I? I remain cautious optimistic.

Can this actually be a good idea as we reach a point where there is no way to go but up? And that “up” is a series of 600 plus uneven, winding stone steps with no guard rails (because everything must remain as it was back in the 7th century :)...that “up” has already come with signing a liability waiver and that “up” now comes with sign postings reminding us of all the dangers before us plus 2 people died last year courtesy of traversing these very steps?! We stop, we consider...we proceed..

It's beautiful. It is surprisingly green as I thought all would be rocky and craggy. The sea meeting the sky is glorious in its simplicity. About 250 steps up, Mom says, “You go on ahead. I will just wait here.” There is no doubt she could have made it all the way to the top but the clock was ticking and we simply needed more time for her to take on Skellig Michael at her own pace.

“I am just going to go a little further and if I see any puffins, I'll take photos for you...and I will take pictures of the monastery if I make it that far...so it will be just as if you were there”, I say as I contemplate how much further I want to walk in my Keds sneakers and my Coach-sequined backpack...isn't that what everyone wears when hiking?

“It doesn't count if I do not see the puffins myself so your photos won't count so you better not see any puffins without me”, she says as I start to make my way up the seemingly never-ending stone stairs.

I laugh and think, “God help me”.

I am breathing a little heavier than usual as I pass some of the others that came on the boat with us. “How is it up there?” I ask them as they are passing me on the way back down. “I think I'm done,” I tell them as I consider heading back from whence I came . “You are actually closer to the top than you realize. It's just a little further”, they tell me. “Where's your Mom?”, they ask and I tell them she is relaxing around step 250. “Smart woman”, they tell me as they share that they did not see any puffins. I do not want to know this....

The stone stairway torture ends and before me is the monastery. The ruins of what was formerly known as a monastery. The only monks to be found would be in the rudimentary cemetery. Note to self: start reading guide books. I am about 14 centuries too late to see an active, thriving monastery. Wait, I see birds. This could be it. They look amazing..amazingly similar to...seagulls. I have traveled 3,000 miles and up 600 steps to see birds that I see along the Belt Parkway in NYC everyday?!

“Excuse me, could you take a photo of me so I can prove to my Mom that I actually climbed to this point?”, I ask a gentleman who is the only other life form present...other than the seagull, of course.

“Have you seen any puffins?”, I ask.

“Not a one”,

Hanging my head low now....I am doomed.

Only about 45 minutes left to make our way back to the boat so I say goodbye to the seagull and prepare myself for not only the walk back down the cliffs but to my “I am not leaving until I see puffins” Mom.

I would like to detach my legs from my body right about now as the backs of my calves are burning.....I just have to rest for a moment. I catch something moving out of the corner of my eyes, darting in and out amongst the cracks of the hillside. This bird is black and white feathered....and his beak is a colorful blend of orange and yellow and blue and …..it is a puffin !!!! He plays hide and seek amongst the landscape. I can not get a picture of the puffin as he moves quite fast but I saw a puffin!! This may have to remain my little secret. I shout down to my Mom who looks about 9 inches high from where I am standing.

“Mommmmmmm. Hello!!”, I wave. She waves back.

It is time to confess. I see another puffin. This puffin poses for me, cocks his head to one side as if to say, “I am pretty cute, aren't I?” He lets me take about 12 photos of him before deciding he must move on to his next photo shoot.

As I am back at the point where Mom and I meet up again, she asks me how it was at the top of Skellig Michael.

“Pretty much the same as here except higher”, I say. “Did you know that the monastery is actually the ruins of a monastery?”

“Of course, what did you expect? Monks roaming around? It's ruins”.

I am not saying another word. Silence and then I hear four of the best words possible....

“I saw five puffins”, Mom says excitedly. “They moved pretty fast and I got some photos but they did not come out so good but I saw puffins”.

I tell her about my puffin sightings and promise to show her the photos once we are back in Port Magee. We leisurely walk back to the boat...happy in the knowledge that we came, we saw and we love puffins.

Thank you God !!! I think to myself. Thank you. Collectively we saw about 10 puffins some up-close, some a bit in the distance but for sure, most definitely, they were adorable puffins.  Every moment of the adventure was wonderful.  Mission accomplished and now....

We can go home again :)
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ladies and Gentleman who lunch Parisian style

There are moments in all our lives that are just  humbling "wow" moments.  You know which ones I'm talking about, don't you?  The ones like this one.  The one where I am sitting with my dear friend Clyde and my Mom at Le Jules Verne restaurant, 125 meters (375 feet) up in the Eiffel Tower, thinking to myself, "I grew up poor in the South Bronx.  When I was growing up, a dining treat was if Mom would take me to Howard Johnson's for fried clam strips and a banana split.  And I loved it!  And I would still love it except it's not the same any more.  Not nearly as fresh and good as back in the day"  I envisioned many things for myself, but sitting here, now, with two of the many people I love...nope, I didn't envision this moment.  I may have envisioned myself being one of the tourists getting rained on whilst standing on the observation deck below us. We are seated at a table where we can watch the tourists "observe" Paris from the observa

Nepal Continued: Love is a Baby Elephant Named Padra......

"See, it says right here....Elephant Breeding/Birthing Center...Chitwan National Park. We can play with baby elephants and bathe them! Now that sounds like fun and where else would we be able to do that?  Definitely want to bathe a baby elephant." I said it. I admit it. I was on a mission...The only thing to be decided was how to get to Chitwan. Fly or drive. "Lets drive - this way we can see more of the country." I said it. I admit that too. I made a few bad judgment calls this trip and this was at the top of the list. Note to all: given the choice between flying or driving in Nepal? Opt for flying. "You need shock absorbers," we try to explain to our driver after enduring a 6-hour ride from Kathmandu to Chitwan. Imagine us acting out the need for shock absorbers. "And what happened to the air conditioning which is now blowing air that feels hotter than the 100 degree temperatures outside?" Opening the windows leads to a respiratory nightmar

....and now I have Paris...France, that is :)

Here's the thing. A million years ago (okay, maybe more like back in the 1980's), I went to Paris, France with my Mom and my now ex-husband (oh, yes...those of you who had no idea, I was married once in a world that seems light years away from today. No horror story to tell. I just married a very nice man who was not the man for me. That's all. So now you can pick your jaw up from the floor and keep reading. If the Catholic Church has recovered from my walk down the aisle in St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC so can you :) Everything that could have gone wrong during that trip in 1987 did go wrong. Here are some of the highlights or lowlights depending on one's perspective. We arrived at the Paris Gare du Nord train station from Brussels on a windy, rainy night. It was late; we were tired and we were told the hotel was within walking distance of the train station but pray tell, which direction? We asked the gendarme, the local police and were told, "That way"