Skip to main content

"Do you want to go for a sleigh ride?"

....amongst elk herds in Wyoming?

Most of our mother/daughter travel adventures start off that simply.  I wish I could tell you that there was some sort of grand planning strategy but it usually just starts with a question. Mom says, "Yes" and off we go.

Here's the thing.  I was in Jackson Hole, Wyoming a few weeks ago.  I could have taken the sleigh ride.  It's a one hour ride.  But I knew (because I just KNOW) if I came home and said to my Mom, "Look at these terrific pictures I took during my cool (literally, as the temperatures are hovering around 20 degrees in Jackson Hole this time of year) sleigh ride" that perhaps that would be the last time Mom would cook a meal for me or she would disown me at my tender age of 55 (56 years of age now as I wrote this back in March and have seen a birthday come and go since).

The National Elk Refuge is yet another spectacular national treasure.  It is part of the migratory path for about 9,000+ elk.  They are not at all fazed by the existence of the horse-drawn sleighs.  Or the tourists that oooohhhh and aaaahhhh at their collective majesty.

Now about attire for the sleigh ride - no joke - at a balmy 18 degrees with a bit of snow and a fair amount of wind - it's lovely that wool blankets are provided but out at the refuge, those blankets feel merely decorative.  Note:  Mom wore 2 pairs of socks, long silk underwear, 4 layers of shirts/sweaters, lined overcoat, gloves, a balaclava (not to be confused with baklava which is a honey-drenched dessert) and a hat.  I wore earmuffs, a heavy jacket with hood, a scarf, two pairs of gloves, two sweaters, tights, socks and boots.  We were both still feeling the chill in the air.  It's cold on the wide open range amidst the Grand Tetons but worth every shiver to see the elk sparring and posing and being elk-fabulous.

Do not let Wyoming fool you as there is so much more than elk to see!

We thought it was wonderful of a moose to be our informal welcoming committee of one to Jackson.  Shortly after we exited the Jackson Hole Airport (which is the only public airport, by the way, that sits in the midst of a National Park - who knew?!), our friend says, "There's a moose."  Being the New Yorker that I am (skepticism runs high), I thought maybe it was a fake moose placed strategically for effect.  But I am here to humbly say, this was an honest-to-goodness moose enjoying an afternoon meal of shrubbery.  Yum!!!

A drive out to Granite Creek found us indulging in the very cutting edge sport that is "non-mobile, stationary snowmobiling" :) where we blaze a trail to... nowhere!!  What?!  You've never heard of this sport?  Well, someone has to start a trend, right?  Just call us trendsetters.  We see quite a few deer - and they do have a specific name which eludes me right now at 6a.m. as I write this whilst working a red-eye flight home.  Being a city gal, I was just proud I recognized the four-legged creatures as deer.

There's lots of other wildlife; depending on your definition of wildlife from the Silver Dollar Bar and Grill at the historic Wort Hotel or the Cowboy Bar on the Square across from the iconic antler arches.  The elk naturally shed their beautiful antlers and the local Boy Scouts are the only ones allowed to collect them from the National Elk Refuge.

Bald eagle sightings? Check.

Deer sightings? Check.

Moose sightings? Check.

Elk sightings? Check.

Sheep sightings? Check.

So much more than a sleigh ride through the elk herds? Checkmate.




















  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ladies and Gentleman who lunch Parisian style

There are moments in all our lives that are just  humbling "wow" moments.  You know which ones I'm talking about, don't you?  The ones like this one.  The one where I am sitting with my dear friend Clyde and my Mom at Le Jules Verne restaurant, 125 meters (375 feet) up in the Eiffel Tower, thinking to myself, "I grew up poor in the South Bronx.  When I was growing up, a dining treat was if Mom would take me to Howard Johnson's for fried clam strips and a banana split.  And I loved it!  And I would still love it except it's not the same any more.  Not nearly as fresh and good as back in the day"  I envisioned many things for myself, but sitting here, now, with two of the many people I love...nope, I didn't envision this moment.  I may have envisioned myself being one of the tourists getting rained on whilst standing on the observation deck below us. We are seated at a table where we can watch the tourists "observe" Paris from the observa

Nepal Continued: Love is a Baby Elephant Named Padra......

"See, it says right here....Elephant Breeding/Birthing Center...Chitwan National Park. We can play with baby elephants and bathe them! Now that sounds like fun and where else would we be able to do that?  Definitely want to bathe a baby elephant." I said it. I admit it. I was on a mission...The only thing to be decided was how to get to Chitwan. Fly or drive. "Lets drive - this way we can see more of the country." I said it. I admit that too. I made a few bad judgment calls this trip and this was at the top of the list. Note to all: given the choice between flying or driving in Nepal? Opt for flying. "You need shock absorbers," we try to explain to our driver after enduring a 6-hour ride from Kathmandu to Chitwan. Imagine us acting out the need for shock absorbers. "And what happened to the air conditioning which is now blowing air that feels hotter than the 100 degree temperatures outside?" Opening the windows leads to a respiratory nightmar

....and now I have Paris...France, that is :)

Here's the thing. A million years ago (okay, maybe more like back in the 1980's), I went to Paris, France with my Mom and my now ex-husband (oh, yes...those of you who had no idea, I was married once in a world that seems light years away from today. No horror story to tell. I just married a very nice man who was not the man for me. That's all. So now you can pick your jaw up from the floor and keep reading. If the Catholic Church has recovered from my walk down the aisle in St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC so can you :) Everything that could have gone wrong during that trip in 1987 did go wrong. Here are some of the highlights or lowlights depending on one's perspective. We arrived at the Paris Gare du Nord train station from Brussels on a windy, rainy night. It was late; we were tired and we were told the hotel was within walking distance of the train station but pray tell, which direction? We asked the gendarme, the local police and were told, "That way"