Skip to main content

It's going to be so much more than okay - The Adirondacks road trip - Part I

"Okay, I think I have our itinerary all figured out.  We can fly to Frankfurt then to Warsaw, spend a few days there and then take a train to Prague.  Yes, that will work," I say to my Mom with about 10 days to go until vacation.

"Okay," she says.

"Okay," I say.

And that's when I know, despite all the plans and research, something is definitely not okay.  It is difficult to explain to people how Mom and I decide on a particular vacation destination.  We do not have what one would call a very traditional (read as "normal") methodology for selecting a travel destination.  Sometimes we detour to see the World's Largest Potato when other people would just stay on the interstate.  Sometimes we detour because we see a sign that reads "Fussimanya" and we simply have to find out what a "Fussimanya" is (turns out it is both a beautiful town and an excellent restaurant in Spain).  Sometimes we just get a feeling; something that speaks to both of us.  We just hear a voice that lets us know to get excited because we are on the right track.

This time with the planned Eastern Europe trip, although we know we want to see this part of the world, the inner voices are ......silent.

This is many things but this is not "okay."

"Maybe we should head back to Micronesia.  We loved Yap.  We could explore some of the other islands out that way," I say sitting at the kitchen table waiting for that excited feeling.  I start researching and planning for travel to that part of the world.

"How does this all sound, Mom?  Maybe we can check out Palau and revisit Yap?"

"Okay.  Sounds good,"  Mom says.

For some inexplicable reason, it's not okay.  It's not good this time.

7 days and counting until vacation starts.

Maybe it is because we had such a perfect time from start to finish in May when we visited the United Kingdom, Scotland and the puffins of the Farne Islands.  Maybe it is because just a few weeks prior, we took the car and headed north from New York City, ended up kayaking in the Hudson River off the shore of Beacon, New York.  Maybe what we want is not to be found so far from home....

"Mom, how about a road trip?"

I think at last count I have been to 62 different countries. As for my Mom, I would have to recount the pins she has of the countries she has visited in her Map of the World.  I know her total is just a little less than mine.  Ask her and she can tell you the exact number.  Yet we can not say we have truly explored the small towns, 2,000 lakes and majestic mountains of the Adirondack region of New York State.

When I was younger (yes, a million years ago when dinosaurs roamed the planet), Mom and I had visited Lake George.  We took one of the scenic boat tours.  Off in the distance was a building that seemed larger than life to me.  A beautiful, stately Victorian building which is the Sagamore Hotel at Bolton Landing.  The hotel actually sits on its own island in Lake George.Wow, when I grow up, I want to stay there.

Well, despite having a well-developed inner child personality, it is fair to say, I am about as grown up as I am going to ever be.

"Mom, how about a road trip....and lets stay at the Sagamore."

"Great!! Really? That sounds great," Mom says.

Great is so much better than okay.

We are excited.  Suddenly we can not pack fast enough.  The drive is fun.  It is an Indian Summer kind of day.  We arrive at Bolton Landing crossing the bridge over the Lake George waters which are sparkling just  to welcome us.  We drive up the long driveway and The Sagamore is still as regally impressive now as it was back in the day.  Heck, my classic Mercedes looks good in front of this hotel.  Everything about this feels way better than "okay."

Checking in was seamless.  Mom starts walking toward the rear portico (because a place like the Sagamore has porticos not porches :) off the lobby because there is an absolutely stunning sunset view of Lake George through  the glass multi-paned French doors.

"Mom, I need you to come here.  Please come sign this.  Right now."

"But I want to take pictures (when does my Mom not want to take photos?).  I'm going to miss the sunset!! Can't I sign whatever later??!!" she says as she starts making her way toward....

"Surprise!!!!!!!"

"Happy Birthday!!!" says our friend Chip who drove all the way from Long Island to Lake George (a 6 hour drive easily) to surprise my Mom.

Now that's love and the perfect start to a vacation that is so much more than "okay."      

Comments

  1. I love Lake George! Twice I have camped on one of those little islands with Linda and Ken.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ladies and Gentleman who lunch Parisian style

There are moments in all our lives that are just  humbling "wow" moments.  You know which ones I'm talking about, don't you?  The ones like this one.  The one where I am sitting with my dear friend Clyde and my Mom at Le Jules Verne restaurant, 125 meters (375 feet) up in the Eiffel Tower, thinking to myself, "I grew up poor in the South Bronx.  When I was growing up, a dining treat was if Mom would take me to Howard Johnson's for fried clam strips and a banana split.  And I loved it!  And I would still love it except it's not the same any more.  Not nearly as fresh and good as back in the day"  I envisioned many things for myself, but sitting here, now, with two of the many people I love...nope, I didn't envision this moment.  I may have envisioned myself being one of the tourists getting rained on whilst standing on the observation deck below us. We are seated at a table where we can watch the tourists "observe" Paris from the observa

....and now I have Paris...France, that is :)

Here's the thing. A million years ago (okay, maybe more like back in the 1980's), I went to Paris, France with my Mom and my now ex-husband (oh, yes...those of you who had no idea, I was married once in a world that seems light years away from today. No horror story to tell. I just married a very nice man who was not the man for me. That's all. So now you can pick your jaw up from the floor and keep reading. If the Catholic Church has recovered from my walk down the aisle in St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC so can you :) Everything that could have gone wrong during that trip in 1987 did go wrong. Here are some of the highlights or lowlights depending on one's perspective. We arrived at the Paris Gare du Nord train station from Brussels on a windy, rainy night. It was late; we were tired and we were told the hotel was within walking distance of the train station but pray tell, which direction? We asked the gendarme, the local police and were told, "That way"

Nepal Continued: Love is a Baby Elephant Named Padra......

"See, it says right here....Elephant Breeding/Birthing Center...Chitwan National Park. We can play with baby elephants and bathe them! Now that sounds like fun and where else would we be able to do that?  Definitely want to bathe a baby elephant." I said it. I admit it. I was on a mission...The only thing to be decided was how to get to Chitwan. Fly or drive. "Lets drive - this way we can see more of the country." I said it. I admit that too. I made a few bad judgment calls this trip and this was at the top of the list. Note to all: given the choice between flying or driving in Nepal? Opt for flying. "You need shock absorbers," we try to explain to our driver after enduring a 6-hour ride from Kathmandu to Chitwan. Imagine us acting out the need for shock absorbers. "And what happened to the air conditioning which is now blowing air that feels hotter than the 100 degree temperatures outside?" Opening the windows leads to a respiratory nightmar