Skip to main content

The Hidden Treasure That Is....Tulsa ?!

If someone asked me to comment about Tulsa, say. a week ago, I would have said, "Why?"   As a native New Yorker who had never even been to Oklahoma before I would have nothing of merit to add to a conversation about Tulsa.  I know that Tulsa is in Oklahoma. You can look at a map and find that out.  You don't need me to tell you.  I will also say that I never thought I'd be writing a sentence, let alone a whole story that included the word Tulsa.  I guess now is also the time to admit that although I do know where Oklahoma is, I did need to take out the in-flight magazine to see that Tulsa sits in the northeastern portion of the state.  I am also guilty of a visual picture of Tulsa that solely included tumbleweeds and old oil rigs...and that's it.  And yet, I am excited about going to Tulsa for one big reason...I have never been before.

Why is it that I seem to be the only one excited to be going to Tulsa?  I'll only be there for a day and yet everytime I say "Yea!  Tulsa...aren't you psyched?", the responses I get are less than enthusiastic.  I'm putting that kindly.  Wait, I did talk to a passenger on a flight earlier that day that had been to Tulsa many times. He did say they have some great barbeque joints and nice art deco architecture but I couldn't get any more specific information from him.  Hhhhhmmm...not a lot to go on but there's a glimmer of hope in that statement, right?

New York City to Denver and then a connecting flight from Denver to Tulsa; I'm sitting at the gate at Denver International Airport.  I look up and there's a friend I haven't seen in ages - well over 5 years.  I'm shocked because the last time I saw LeeAnn was in NY. What's the chances of bumping into her in Denver?  Moments like this have to stop being surprising to me because invariably I bump into people I know regardless of how far away from home I am.

"Oh, wow. LeeAnn, hi !,"  I get up and give her a big hug.  "Its been forever.  How are you?"  She's good.  I'm good.  I introduce her to my flying colleagues, Michael and Monika who if you have to go to Tulsa, well, you couldn't be traveling with two nicer people. (And oh, before I forget, thank you Bryan for the introduction to the snickerdoodle cookie courtesy of a concession stand at Denver's Airport.  Probably 65,000 calories in that one cookie sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar but yummy!!!  My cookie choices were peanut butter, chocolate chip and snickerdoodle and since I had no idea what a snickerdoodle anything is, I went on blind faith.  Now I and my ever-expanding waistline knows exactly what a snickerdoodle cookie is.)

"So where are you heading?", Lee Ann asks.  "Tulsa", I say, expecting the same non-enthusiastic, vague reactions I've been getting all day.  But what's the chances of the following?  Get ready for it....

"No way.  Really.  So am I", she says.  "You remember I live there, right?"

It's kismet :)  I didn't remember that LeeAnn lives in Tulsa but I am thrilled to be reminded now.

"Oh, Girl.  I'm so glad you're here.  I need a list of something, anything to do in Tulsa.  Everyone keeps telling me there's nothing to see, no reason to go but I don't believe it."

There are substantial American History lessons to be shared but I'll let you do your own research for historical facts and figures.  I do know that it used to be a big oil town but not any longer.  I learn that it used to be nicknamed the "Oil Capital of the World".  There's lots of art deco architecture to be found; remnants from the boom town days of prosperity.  As a matter of fact, the Boston Avenue Methodist Church is one of the pre-eminent examples of art-deco design in the country.  Who knew?

....and Tulsa is home to, dare I say it, famous cheese grits?  You can't get them just anywhere, you know.  Again if you asked me a week ago about Tulsa ...or where to get good cheese grits or any grits at all...I would not have been able to help you.  All that has changed now.

LeeAnn picks me up from the Doubletree Hotel in downtown Tulsa bright and early Saturday morning.  I did think about taking a walk the night before through town.  Just because.  I quickly decided against that when I realized although there are lots of sidewalks to be found downtown, no one, and I mean, no one, is walking .  That is a sad commentary but seems to be a story that could be repeated for many downtown areas across the U.S.  If I based my opinion of Tulsa strictly on the area around the downtown hotels, I could understand why people would come to a less-than-favorable conclusion about the vitality of this town.  I did enjoy a nice view of Tulsa from my 15th floor room of the skyline.  God bless those 5 or 6 tall buildings that gave me something to gaze upon ...a skyline.

....but back to the cheese grits.  I hear there are lots of great breakfast places.  The Blue Dome Diner and the Corner Cafe where a full breakfast can be had for $3.99 (they have a very nice painting on their cafe window of fried eggs and bacon -don't remember seeing grits though) but we are heading for Queenie's at Utica Square - home to homemade cheese grits and the best granola west of the Mississippi.

"They taste just like macaroni and cheese", LeeAnn tells me as we are driving, passing along Swan Lake.  Swan Lake, size-wise, is more like a pond; even the locals admit this but it is framed by beautiful homes with gardens blooming or promising the blossoming of azaleas and dogwood.  I start laughing and have to confess that I'm not much of a grits lover (It's the native New Yorker in me. I just don't understand grits, I guess.) but I'm willing to give them a try.  I have tried grits down South from Georgia to the Carolinas to Virginia but I have never had Oklahoman grits.  There is a first time for everything.

"Oh, those flowers over there are beautiful," I say, pointing to what turns out to be Woodward Park.  Lets just park , yes, right near where a sign reads "No parking anytime" and take some photos.  Let that be our little secret.  We run out of the car and take a few photos of azaleas and dogwood and cherry trees that are offering up brilliant blooms of pink, fuschia and purple for our enjoyment.  What I think are cherry trees turn out to be the state tree called the Redbud which seems a little strange to me because the tree is chock full of distinctly purple flowers.  But hey, when in Oklahoma....there has to be a story there :)  A red cardinal makes a brief appearance amongst all this lovely scenery and I think to myself, "Who knew Tulsa had all this beauty?"  I am starting to see why Tulsa has been voted one of the most liveable cities in the U.S.  It just feels ...comfortable.

Queenie's.  Remember that's where we are heading.  Thankfully, we get there before the long line of customers waiting for tables, arrive.  It's the draw of those world-famous cheese grits and the homemade granola.

"Oh, you've got to try these", LeeAnn tells me.  There is no escaping the inevitable.  Okay, here's the truth.  Would I want a whole bowl of mac and cheese grits?  No.  That's an acquired taste.  They have a little cayenne pepper kick to them and are quite good.  I think you should try them for yourself and let me know what you think.

I almost forgot to mention.  We stumbled across the Cherry St. Farmers Market which takes place on Saturdays 7a.m. to 11a.m.  Cherry Street is a trendy section of Tulsa with cute boutiques like Little Black Dress, eateries, an Irish pub called Kilkenny's and little shops like Wanda's Cakes.  The Farmers Market offers up everything from homemade breads and pies to fresh produce and spices to Linda's Hilltop Honey's full line of lotions and soaps.  I love the Lemongrass Mint soaps and the honey lotion bar shaped like a honeycomb with a honey bee sitting on top.  It turns out to be the perfect souvenir...made in Tulsa... to bring home.

One more stop on the whirlwind tour before it's time for me to head back to the airport for my flights back to NYC.  We make our way to the Tulsa County Fairgrounds where a weekend flea market is being held.  If you have gone by the 76-foot tall Golden Driller statue, then you have drove too far.  This is one of those instances when I say, "You can't miss it" and truly, you can't.  A $2.00 crystal candy dish and a $6 Pucci-esque geometric-patterned purse later, we are heading back to the hotel (would have had a pearl and silver brooch pin - circa 1950's as well but I couldn't find $55.00 in my wallet to bring that home too).  The flea market is a mecca for collectors and people just having the equivalent of a local garage sale all under one roof.

For all those who say there is nothing to see or do in Tulsa, shame on you.  As for me, something tells me there could be another Tulsa trip in my future.  After all, there's a brooch pin with my name on it and a bunch of other places to visit yet such as Broken Arrow and Blue Dome and...

...who knows when I may next get a craving for mac and cheese grits?  I know a good place now.   

     

  

  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ladies and Gentleman who lunch Parisian style

There are moments in all our lives that are just  humbling "wow" moments.  You know which ones I'm talking about, don't you?  The ones like this one.  The one where I am sitting with my dear friend Clyde and my Mom at Le Jules Verne restaurant, 125 meters (375 feet) up in the Eiffel Tower, thinking to myself, "I grew up poor in the South Bronx.  When I was growing up, a dining treat was if Mom would take me to Howard Johnson's for fried clam strips and a banana split.  And I loved it!  And I would still love it except it's not the same any more.  Not nearly as fresh and good as back in the day"  I envisioned many things for myself, but sitting here, now, with two of the many people I love...nope, I didn't envision this moment.  I may have envisioned myself being one of the tourists getting rained on whilst standing on the observation deck below us. We are seated at a table where we can watch the tourists "observe" Paris from the observa

Nepal Continued: Love is a Baby Elephant Named Padra......

"See, it says right here....Elephant Breeding/Birthing Center...Chitwan National Park. We can play with baby elephants and bathe them! Now that sounds like fun and where else would we be able to do that?  Definitely want to bathe a baby elephant." I said it. I admit it. I was on a mission...The only thing to be decided was how to get to Chitwan. Fly or drive. "Lets drive - this way we can see more of the country." I said it. I admit that too. I made a few bad judgment calls this trip and this was at the top of the list. Note to all: given the choice between flying or driving in Nepal? Opt for flying. "You need shock absorbers," we try to explain to our driver after enduring a 6-hour ride from Kathmandu to Chitwan. Imagine us acting out the need for shock absorbers. "And what happened to the air conditioning which is now blowing air that feels hotter than the 100 degree temperatures outside?" Opening the windows leads to a respiratory nightmar

....and now I have Paris...France, that is :)

Here's the thing. A million years ago (okay, maybe more like back in the 1980's), I went to Paris, France with my Mom and my now ex-husband (oh, yes...those of you who had no idea, I was married once in a world that seems light years away from today. No horror story to tell. I just married a very nice man who was not the man for me. That's all. So now you can pick your jaw up from the floor and keep reading. If the Catholic Church has recovered from my walk down the aisle in St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC so can you :) Everything that could have gone wrong during that trip in 1987 did go wrong. Here are some of the highlights or lowlights depending on one's perspective. We arrived at the Paris Gare du Nord train station from Brussels on a windy, rainy night. It was late; we were tired and we were told the hotel was within walking distance of the train station but pray tell, which direction? We asked the gendarme, the local police and were told, "That way"